I have never had a shot in my entire 18 years of life. The only time I was ever poked by a needle was the one time I gave blood. That means I'm an un-immunized member of society. Usually, when I tell people that I wasn't vaccinated as a child they say "Oh! Stay away from me! I'm going to get a disease from you!" and that makes me laugh. Because, honestly, if the vaccines really work then I should pose no threat whatsoever to someone who was vaccinated as a child. I must say, that as an unvaccinated person, I haven't been sick much of my life. Yeah, sometimes I get the common cold or a flu virus, I've had the chicken pox and a small case of the shingles and once I got the Mumps... But I got over it and really, other than that, not a thing. No measles or polio, diphtheria or yellow fever. Really. I've been fine. And I'm most positively not dead.
I recently read an article on Immunizations in Motherhood magazine, they don't have it online so I can't post the link, but it was an excellent article that represented both sides of the debate fairly equally and I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested (My mom got it at Sunflower Market). I don't understand why some people out there make such a big deal about the importance of pumping their hours old babies full of viruses and chemicals they probably do not need. One of the major things I don't get is why they give a baby a Hepatitis B shot. Why on earth would a baby have Hep B?! An STD! Really?! And another thing.. Most of the actual vaccines they give you, the disease they treat or prevent or whatever has died out in the U.S. If it has died out in the U.S. and you aren't going to a country that it hasn't died out in, why put the harmful virus/chemicals in you're/you're child's body? There's really no point.
The media has said that the link between vaccines and Autism has been disproved, but it hasn't. The number of children diagnosed with autism is about 1 in every 150. A new case is diagnosed every twenty (that's 20) minutes. 67 a day. That is a lot of kids. I'm not saying it's proven that there is a link between autism and vaccines.. I'm just saying its not disproven. There's still that risk of changing a child's life for the worse by vaccinating them. I don't think I want to take that risk.
Anyways.. This is the longest blog of my life. If you can't tell, I'm rather passionate about this. Hahaha Thanks for reading... It's probably really disjointed and kinda rambles on and on.. But whatever. :) <33
6 comments:
:) This is one of many rants I like to go an.. hahaha
The hepatitis B virus spreads through blood, semen, vaginal fluids, and other body fluids. Infection can occur if you have:
* Blood transfusions
* Contact with blood in health care settings
* Had direct contact with the blood of an infected person by touching an open wound or been stuck with a needle
* Had unsafe sex with an infected person
* Received a tattoo or acupuncture with contaminated instruments
* Shared needles during drug use
* Shared personal items (such as toothbrushes, razors, and nail clippers) with an infected person.
Hepatitis B can be considered an STD... You can get it other ways too. :D
I love Motherhood Magazine! And I've read the article. It was a good one. We've got the girls on an "alternative schedule" for shots. And then we only get certain ones.
This can be rather a hot topic, though. Way to put your opinion out there!
Thanks for reading Lacy! How are you guys doing?! I miss you!
Thanks Pearl. I've adapted an alternate vaccine schedule with our little guy too. We have a family history of Autism and the rates are drastically higher for boys. I didn't do much research with the girl, so she's had all of hers. Thanks for your insight.
Pearl I love you! You are so great and I appreciate your opinion, but I have to just say one thing. The reason babys get the Heb B shot so soon after birth is because we don't know what mom has, for all we know she could be a prostitute and that baby just went through the birth canal with vaginal fluid and blood and you dont want a baby to have that for the rest of his life. Ok that's my rant. Love you girl!
Thanks Mary! I love you too. :))
Post a Comment